Recycle Right ResourcesMW134_RRA3_Keep_it_New_Jan19_PRESS_READY
All residents in the MIDWASTE area receive a fortnightly recycling service which is collected in the Yellow lidded Bin.
The recycling service is a co-mingled service where all recyclable items are placed together into one bin. It is therefore important that all items remain loose and are not placed inside plastic bags.
Recycling is easy, helps reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill and has great environmental benefits.
For more information on what goes into your yellow lidded bin click the image below for your Council area.
RECYCLING HINTS AND TIPS
- Flatten cardboard containers to make more space in your recycling bin
- Wipe out or rinse recyclable containers in old washing up water before placing them in the bin
- Remove all lids from bottles and containers, placing the lids into the red lidded garbage bin
- Don’t place items in plastic bags as they cannot be recycled and cause issues at the recycling plant
Recycling – Drop off at waste facilities
These items can be dropped off for free at council waste facilities:
- Motor oil
- Vegetable oil
- Car batteries
- Household batteries
- Gas bottles
- Old Paint
Some councils will also accept (please check with your local council):
- Smoke detectors
- Light bulbs
Did your new purchase come wrapped in polystyrene?
Expanded polystyrene (EPS) from your new appliance packaging or fruit and vegetable box can be recycled!
Did you know?
- Polystyrene is very light and long-lived. If EPS packaging is dumped in the environment, it is around for a long time, causing wind-blown litter, looking ugly and potentially blocking drains and waterways
- Although very light, EPS is a very bulky material taking up large, valuable areas of landfill space
- In 2011, the NSW EPA estimated that 12,000 tonnes of EPS were buried in landfill, which is about the same as filling 96 Olympic sized swimming pools with EPS
- EPS is recycled into products such as plant pots, picture frames, desk accessories and insulation
EPS cannot be recycled through your yellow bin but it can be dropped off (free of charge) at:
- Englands Road Waste Management Centre, Coffs Harbour
- Crescent Head Rd Waste Management Centre, Kempsey
- Tuncurry Waste Management Centre, Great Lakes
- Taree Waste Management Centre, Tinonee